Last week a federal judge ruled that the State of Alabama’s constitutional ban on same sex marriage is unconstitutional. A constitutional ban that was approved in 2006 by 81% of Alabama voters. As an American I’m extremely troubled that activist judges are ignoring the will of an overwhelming majority of Americans. However, that’s another subject for another day.
I will approach this article primarily by responding to things I have heard from those who support homosexual rights.
1. If you don’t support gay rights you’re a hate monger. I agree that there are people in our country who hate gay people but those people do not represent all of us. I also acknowledge that there are people who call themselves Christian who are full of hate. They are not Christians. I believe that same sex relationships are a sin but I DO NOT HATE HOMOSEXUALS. I’m sure that some will read this post and respond to me with anger and even hatred but I refuse to hate you back. I do not hate you and God does not hate you. God hates sin but not the sinner.
2. I was born this way. Ok! I don’t have a problem with that statement and I may be one of the few conservative Christians that you will hear say it. Here’s why I don’t have a huge problem with the statement. The Bible (my authority) says in Romans 3:23 that all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God. I was born a sinner too. Let me give you an example. When I was three years old I lied to my mother. I was a three year old liar. No one taught me to be a liar, it came naturally. I was born that way. God’s word teaches us explicitly that we should not lie. When I became a follower of Christ, part of my growth as a believer was to overcome my “tendency” to lie. So maybe you’re not a liar but you do have a “desire” to have a gay relationship. If you are a follower of Christ you should be seeking the healing and deliverance of God to change you’re desires and overcome them. I stopped lying years ago.
I have a few questions:
- If a man is born with a desire to kill should he have the constitutional right to do so because he says that he was born that way?
- If someone wants to have sex with children and their argument is “I was born a pedophile” does that make its ok?
- If a man gets married but then discovers he likes having sex with multiple people should the constitution protect him from his spouses desire for a divorce?
3. People who use the Bible to support their belief’s are “Bible Thumpers.” Ok again. I believe the Bible. I have been a student of the Bible for almost forty years. Reading the Bible and accepting it by faith is part of my faith. However as I am referring to it I’m not angry nor am I foaming at the mouth. In addition to accepting the Bible by faith I also see the Bible being fulfilled throughout history and even today. It’s real and it is the inspired Word of God. As a Christian I have to believe that. If I don’t believe it, then my Faith in Christ comes into question. The Bible is my final authority on all matters. If you don’t believe the Bible, Ok but don’t hate me because I do and I want society to reflect it.
4. God doesn’t care about homosexuality. You have to ignore the Bible to make that statement. Scriptures are replete with passages that show God’s disdain for homosexuality.
Leviticus 18:22New International Version (NIV) “‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.
Leviticus 20:13 New International Version (NIV) “‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads. Note: Because I understand scripture and understand that Leviticus is the law, I’m not suggesting that God wants us to put homosexuals to death. All I’m doing in sharing this verse is to show you that indeed, God does care.
New International Version (NIV) 1 Timothy 1: 8 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.
Look at this passage of scripture from Romans 1
18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.
24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
I’ve given you just a sampling of scripture. There are many more. My only motive is not to “Thump” the Bible but to show you that God does care and that God does not approve of homosexuality.
If you have made your mind up about this matter I may not change it. But if your trying to decide what you believe then take my argument to heart and mind. If you call yourself a Christian but support the gay rights issue I’d love to have you hear my heart.
If you feel trapped by a desire to be a homosexuality, there is deliverance.
As I close I’d like to reiterate that I don’t hate you if you disagree. I love people, even those who do not agree with me. I love you!
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THIS PAGE IN THE COLUMN TO THE RIGHT.
Note from me: I usually write when something is burring in my heart or heavy on my mind. I write and type fast and I make mistakes. I don’t take the time to have my entries proof read because of the urgency in my heart at the moment and, spelling and grammar are not some of my strong points. So please excuse the spelling errors that get by Word and for my grammar and mistakes.
Thank you for reading this blog. If you enjoy reading, please subscribe in the email subscription box. You will only receive emails from me and I will not share your addresses.